Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"So Long for Now"

When it comes to my children,  I only want the best, just as any parent would. When we enrolled Hunter in his elementary school, we felt we had hit the jackpot. That was nearly six years ago and started a beautiful partnership with teachers and educators who truly represent the best of our public school system. At the helm of his school was the most dynamic, thoughtful, qualified and accomplished principal I have had the pleasure of knowing.

Today, I learned that Mr. Beattie will be moving on to another chapter of his career by accepting the position of Superintendent of Schools in another school district. I am heartbroken. I understand his decision, made largely because of the continued oppression that our Governor is inflicting on our public school system. If he were not to make this move, his own family's future plans would be in jeopardy.

However, my understanding does not bring me any comfort in knowing that my little girl, who is less than a year away from kindergarten, will not have the same strong but gentle influence that our son has enjoyed under Mr. Beattie's leadership. I haven't had the heart to break the news to her. She is always thrilled to see Mr. Beattie as we drop her brother off at school each morning.

As two moms, we tend to bond even more strongly with strong, open-minded men who are progressive enough to know that strong, loving families are not defined solely by traditional standards. Hunter has such a positive role model in Mr. Beattie and since starting school has wanted to emulate this wonderful man.

We have never felt excluded from opportunities to get involved in our son's school. At Mr. Beattie's invitation, I sit on the Partnership in Education committee and Donna and I are often volunteering in the classroom. We have never questioned that Hunter is in the best possible hands. And Hunter has felt open and comfortable enough to joyfully share that he has two moms. When we had our Civil Union two years ago, children and teachers a like were congratulating us, because Hunter was so excited that his moms were getting married. Mr. Beattie set the tone and created that open, inclusive atmosphere.

Mr. Beattie, you will be missed and I only hope that Skye has the same strong leadership in place when she starts her elementary school career.What I know for sure is that you will positively influence the lives of thousands of children and their families in your new post. What I also know for sure is that you have made an indelible impression in Hunter's life and for that, we have been blessed. Know that we keep you close in our thoughts and prayers.

I refuse to say goodbye, so as you said in your announcement, "so long for now."

No comments:

Post a Comment