Monday, November 1, 2010

How Much are You Worth?

How much are you worth?

It's an interesting time we live in. We're all hearing news about how our economy is struggling and no doubt, we feel it at home. Whether it's manifested itself in how often you go to the movies or how much you spend on groceries, whether you'll get that extra medical test or chance it for another year, whether you'll buy those eyeglasses or get your car serviced, everyone feels it. Some people feel it more than others of course.

Those people are waiting in an unemployment line, praying that they find work before their separation pay runs out. They may also be in line at a soup kitchen, waiting for the only meal they'll have that day. Or, they may be waiting for the shoe to drop, waiting to be next in those situations. How many of us are one paycheck away from that soup kitchen? One medical emergency away from having to avoid bill collectors? One fiscal quarter away from rising to the top of a layoff list?

The stress we are under makes me wonder how much are we worth? And can we afford to only measure it in US currency? As I sit and watch my two children grow up, I reflect on how little I have in savings and pray that eventually, I'll catch up. I used to love watching Suze Orman, because I felt like her game plans were things that I could actually follow. Now, I wonder, and I've stopped watching her. It's too discouraging!

I'm not advocating putting your head in the sand and avoiding your own special reality, but I am saying that if we get too caught up in how much we are worth by looking a bank statement, then we miss out on the true value we bring to this world. I wonder how many people sit up at night hoping desperately that they can actually make it to retirement and actually retire? More tragically, how many have done the math and walk around wondering how they can cash in on their life insurance policies so at least their families can be comfortable? Let's make sure we shake them back into looking at the whole person, and the intangible, priceless ways they bring value to the world.

We need to take care of each other more and work on the soft skills. Let's remember to take the time to tell the people we love that we do love them and WHY. Imagine how profound it would be to tell your Dad that you appreciate the countless years of sacrifice because he taught you that despite the struggles, just being there at the dinner table every night gave you a sense of security that is priceless. Or how touched your Mom would be if you told her that your safe place is a memory of laying your head in her lap and having her rub your head while you watched PBS television? Wthout her sacrifice of staying home, that memory wouldn't exist. Or how validated your spouse would be when she knew you appreciated the early hour she leaves each day so you can keep to a very strict budget?

For myself, I pray I can rub my children's heads often enough to give them that lifelong safe place. I also pray I can keep this home safe and sound for them. I pray that I can remember that despite the struggles I deal with, I still have a roof over my family's head. I pray that I remember God will find a way and will provide all that we NEED, and I should stop worrying and start trusting. I pray that I remember that if I work hard WITH my wife, these years of seemingly endless struggle will feel like five minutes at the end of a long and happy life together.

So suddenly, just reading this piece, I feel better already. So, let's be good to each other everyone, and even more so, let's be good to ourselves, because it's our own voice we hear in our head, keeping us up at night. And that voice should be confident and uplifting and full of hope rather than critical and demoralizing. If we love ourselves as fiercely as we love our families, the power we unleash will amaze us.

May God bless us all with peace and serenity, love and abundance and wealth and prosperity.

No comments:

Post a Comment