Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Okay, Cross!"

Cross, Dos!
My favorite crossing guard and dear friend leaves her post tomorrow. It's a hard transition for this family because we've known her since Hunter was in kindergarten and Skye was in a stroller! It's been so comforting to watch them cross under Dos' loving and watchful eye. I had hoped she'd stay on post until Skye finished elementary school, but as with many things, life changes and I must let go of my selfish inclinations and let her go.

Her cheerful disposition and talent for nurturing those in her charge benefited not only the children who have grown up with her but also their parents. Her trademark phrase, "Okay, cross!" has been part of the soundtrack in my children's lives and countless others. They know, as do all the grownups, not to move a toe off the sidewalk until those magic words are spoken. We step into the crosswalk with the confidence that Dos will keep us safe. And now, she gets to cross into another chapter of her life.

So, although I'm reluctant to turn the page, I'll do it to celebrate the next phase of my friend's journey. And I pray that she crosses joyfully and safely into this next chapter, just as she's so wonderfully ensured our safety for so many years.

But, it begs the question; How will I adjust to not having my morning and afternoon chats with a woman who's become a dear friend and harbinger of safety for our children and the larger Bergenfield community?  As a lesbian mom, Dos and I have had some heart-to-hearts about the challenges L-Moms face. We've also shared a lot of laughs at the absurdities Donna and I have encountered. Fortunately, our community has warmly embraced our family. Dos has been a shining example of the love and respect we've been blessed with since our arrival in town more than nine years ago. She has watched our children grow over the last eight of those nine years and in that time, our love for her has grown exponentially.

The changing of the guard happens tomorrow. I know change is inevitable, but the impact that Dos has had on us makes this change particularly difficult. What brings some comfort is knowing she's only a Facebook message away.
Cheers, Dos!

So, on behalf of all the Jefferson School moms in our crew, "Here's to you Dos, and all the other exciting crossings you're about to make! We love you."



No comments:

Post a Comment