Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bible Study

Donna and I pride ourselves on the bedtime rituals we have in place for our children. I sing lullabies and do prayers and Donna reads bedtime stories. Recently, Donna's been reading from a Children's Bedtime Bible Stories book and has rediscovered all kinds of parables and Old Testament stories. The other night, she emerged from Skye's room very excited about Cain and Abel. It seems that the expression "Raising Cain" didn't resonate with her until she stumbled upon that story.

If others could hear Donna's interpretation of the stories she's sharing with Skye, it would inspire a huge increase in Sunday School enrollment. It made me want to dust off my Bible and re familiarize myself with the story. I didn't realize how Cain's offspring triggered Noah's need to build the Ark. I also didn't have the appreciation an animal expert such as my wife has for the poor dove, which was being sent back and forth across a vast body of water. I think I do now, since Donna's colorful reenactment of that part of Noah's tale.

I will never stop marveling over the fresh perspective children bring to our lives. While reminding Skye about the proper behavior during a church service, I told her when she prays, she should tell God what's in her heart. Skye was quick to ask, "And my other body parts, too?" After I stopped laughing, I realized how literally she was taking my explanation. It helped me understand how tricky communication is. It's no wonder, despite all the diplomacy in the world, that misunderstandings still occur which drive us to war.

I guess I just needed to engage in musings over the precious perspective our children bring to our lives. Their vantage point is priceless. I only wish I could tap into my own inner child more easily. I guess that's why God blessed me with two beautiful children who teach me how to consider how the old impacts the new. And also, how the things we say and the common expressions used for hundreds of years are shorthand for profound lessons lost in translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment