Monday, March 24, 2014

" I know Mommy's crazy, but please don't ever replace her."

This morning, the house smelled like Mommy was home. This week, Donna worked on Sunday, which is the day that she normally makes a great hot breakfast for the family. So, instead, she made it for the kids today. So, the children were woken to the smell of bacon, eggs and pancakes. As she prepared the meal, true to Donna-fashion, she was being a little eccentric (a.k.a. crazy) while cooking. Her behavior always amuses Skye. They are so much alike, I think Skye takes comfort in knowing that her eccentricities are shared by at least one parent.

Inseparable
 Skye leaned over to me as she was enjoying her meal and whispered, "I know Mommy's crazy, but please don't ever replace her." It was so touching, I had to share what she said with Donna. Of course, I got permission from Skye first, and then shared the sentiment with my lovely wife. She was moved to tears and is still reflecting on it hours later.

So many moments which seem to busy grownups to go unnoticed, are being absorbed by our children and making more of an impact than we often realize. It's so nice to hear our children articulate how they feel. Skye doesn't want anything to change in her perfect world. I have no intentions of rocking the boat. After all, I finally legally married her crazy mom in December, following a nearly 14-year engagement.

It's interesting to me how children begin to pick up on the impermanence of things. They watch seasons change, their favorite t-shirts become too small, and sometimes, even family units change. Whether those changes are brought on by death, divorce, or long-term separations, they still have an impact on everyone in the family. I imagine that Skye has watched some of her friends split time between two parents who no longer live together and the impact that has on her. I also think of the terrible Newtown shootings that took away 20 children (who were Skye's age) from their families, far too soon.

It's those realities that drive home how special it is to have one another. Our children have taught me to embrace those special moments, like breakfast being cooked by a woman who can channel her inner-Muppet, and hold them in our hearts and minds like precious jewels. I'm blessed to have a beautiful family and I know they are all irreplaceable.

No comments:

Post a Comment