Friday, April 29, 2011

Off the Grid

There are so many distractions around us today that most of us are suffering from self-imposed Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). We have email, voice mail, texts, and cell phones constantly on. Add that to television, computers, and radios and there is no place we can simply tune into each other, rather than to an electronic device.

I just got back from an unbelievable family vacation with Carnival Cruise Lines, which took us to Grand Cayman, Belize, Honduras, and Mexico. It was a solid week of no cell phones, no computers and nearly no television. Hunter and Skye tuned into Cartoon Network occasionally, but it was never more than 30 minutes a day. Being "off the grid" was absolute bliss. We got to enjoy each other and also had the added bonus of spending the week with Donna's parents and brother, Terry.

The opportunity to enjoy real conversations without distractions was a blessing. I got to enjoy soaking in a hot tub with my little girl, sliding down a water slide with Hunter, interacting with bottle nose dolphins in Mexico, zip-lining through the rain forest in Belize, and meeting new people from around the world, one of whom was a remarkable woman who served us dinner each evening. Before the cruise was finished, she felt like family. Hunter understandably developed a crush very quickly. Zuzana was absolutely stunning. Her inner beauty was just as striking, which made her glow even more radiantly. She was from Slovakia. The first evening, she assumed that Terry was my husband.

The moment was only a bit uncomfortable. Although Dad has come very far along in his acceptance of our family, his culture and upbringing still make it an awkward conversation. I answered "No, he's my brother-in-law." Then, I glanced at Donna to take the lead. She broke the ice by saying we were the couple. Zuzana was delighted and our ability to comfortably be who we were was firmly established. Dad was beaming as much from relief as from pride and we moved along to decide whether we would have the salmon or the prime rib.

Our family has an interesting dynamic. Hunter, Skye and I have fair complexions and Donna, her brother and her parents all are lovely different shades of brown. So, it's understandable, especially when onlookers hear Skye call her uncle, Poppa, that people assume I'm Terry's wife. For me, it simply reinforces how intriguing people's stories are and how important it is never to assume anything for face value.

So now as I sit at my desk, back on the grid, the Carnival Valor will always be in my heart. I have a new, warm and sunny Happy Place to which I can retreat when the noise of the grid gets to be too much. I highly recommend that people unplug from the grid regularly to experience our humanity first hand, versus through electronic mediums. You'll be so glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment