Thursday, March 3, 2011

"We can take a plane to Heaven."

Last month, my little girl Skye was listening to Michael Jackson's music. She adores Michael Jackson and likes to dance like him. She was sharing with me that she'd love to dance with him someday, and I explained that he's in Heaven, so she'd have to wait until she was in Heaven too before she could dance with him.

Not known for her patience, she quickly replied, "We can take a plane to Heaven." I smiled and told her that I wished we could. There are so many loved ones I would love to spend time with and I also am not patient enough to wait to join them in Heaven.

My sweet grandfather passed away only four months before Skye was born. I remember calling him to tell him that I was pregnant and his initial reaction was to tell me that I was crazy! He couldn't imagine that I would want to have another child when we were so happy with Hunter and I was also a busy career woman. What made it more unimaginable in his mind was that I was expecting twins. I laughed and told him I must have gotten my crazy gene from him. I assured him I'd be fine and made him promise that he'd stick around long enough to meet them.

Grampie had a fall at home several weeks after our conversation and died in April. He died shortly after I had miscarried one of the twins. So, I took comfort in knowing that our little angel, whom I named Matthew, would be met by one of the strongest and most loving men I knew. Grampie never knew that I had miscarried, so my parents and I lovingly hoped that he'd be pleasantly surprised to be met by a great-grandchild. Four months later, we welcomed Skye into the world and she's been taking the world by storm ever since.

I believe that children have so much innate wisdom. I loved that Skye's creativity hasn't been dampened by the skepticism life experience often brings. She refused to think that simply because Michael Jackson was in Heaven, it would defer one of her dreams. She's ready to board a plane to Heaven. I think that many of us can learn from her invincible spirit. Metaphorically, we can board a plane and spend some time with loved ones who have passed.

It may sound off the wall to some (pun intended, for those who know Michael), but I know the connections and relationships we build here on earth don't end because of a physical death. I'm still convinced that Grampie and my grandmother check in on us from time to time. When those seemingly random memories flood my mind, or I see my grandmother's favorite bird, the Cardinal, I know they are here watching me raise my beautiful children with my wonderful wife. And my wife's grandmother visits quite often, too. It's nice to know that we're being watched over by such strong and loving souls.

So, Michael, you just may see a cute vivacious blond visit with you very soon. Please make sure you introduce her to her great grandparents and her brother. Although, I'm pretty sure she's already met them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy,

    I really enjoy reading your adventures in parenting! As future queer parent it's important to hear stories that reflect the lives of LGBTQ Parents. The premise of our show is a parent to parent advice TV show where our host will work together with your family in teaching your child to become more self reliant, we will spend an episode working with each family and discuss goals of letting go some fears and worries so you could enjoy parenting more. It would be great if you could email me at afairclough@cineflix.com so i can tell you more about the show. We are currently casting in the New York area and it's important to celebrate the diversity of all families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps
    I'm a researcher with Cineflix Productions and we are currently casting for parents for a new parenting show. For more information on our production company please visit www.cineflixproductions.com

    ReplyDelete