Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"It looks like Heaven!"

Recently, Hunter and I took a trip together to Maine to enjoy some ice fishing and time with my parents.

We had just started out on our trip. It was before dawn and our route suddenly became very foggy. I felt myself tense up as I navigated the Jeep through dense fog and darkness. Rather than be concerned, Hunter exclaimed, "It looks like Heaven, Mom!"
Hunter found Heaven on Earth

I found myself relax almost instantaneously from the knowledge that God spoke through Hunter, reminding me that He's at the wheel. It was one of those humbling moments. A moment when my delusion that I'm in control of anything was shattered with the reality that there is a Higher Power in charge. The only thing I'm in control of is how willing I am to lean into my faith to find my center and focus as life throws me off balance.

I'm a person who has a lot of responsibility so it's hard for me to trust blindly and not try to take charge. Not only am I a parent of two beautiful children, which is daunting in itself, I'm also a manager of a team of people responsible for helping pursuit teams close multimillion dollar opportunities. I have to keep myself focused on keeping each member of that team competitive and attentive to the demands of our customers. I pride myself on being very good at my job. But this week, I had to let two members of my team know they would no longer have a job. I felt like I had failed in my ability to keep them gainfully employed.

I know that I had little say in how the decisions were made at the top of the company. Likewise, I know that I have little say in God's plan. As Hunter showed me, I have to remember to look at the situation from a different vantage point. Some may call it naive to think that in this economy those employees will actually have better opportunities in front of them. But I have to believe that's the case.

I have to believe that in the same way I believe in that Higher Power. I take great inspiration from my son and his old soul. He's a beautiful spirit looking at the world through the fresh eyes of a child and teaching me to do the same thing whenever possible. I'm going to hold my faith in a Greater Plan closer than ever during these challenging times.

Because what I've just learned from Hunter is that sometimes, when what I see in front of me is dark and murky, someone else sees Heaven.

2 comments:

  1. "I'm going to hold my faith in a Greater Plan closer than ever during these challenging times." So hard to do but so important. Thank-you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "when what I see in front of me is dark and murky, someone else sees Heaven."... very nice!!

    ReplyDelete