Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Finding our inner Dolphins

I had the most amazing spiritual experience with a dolphin while vacationing in Cozumel, Mexico. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true. When that dolphin and I were looking at each other, it felt like she saw into my soul. What made it even more special is that the entire family enjoyed that experience together. I also loved that the dolphin had a child who also participated in the encounter, so it became  a "play date" with each others children.

The person who facilitated the encounter allowed each of us to spend individual time with those amazing creatures. We got to shake hands, hug them, and kiss them. It was sweet, unconditional acceptance and love.

Juxtaposed against that experience is the abject disappointment I feel as I watch all the recent scandals surrounding political figures like California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and NYS Senator Anthony Wiener. It makes me yearn for humanity to tap into the integrity and wisdom I experienced with that lovely dolphin and her child in Cozumel. If only we could find a way to get back to what matters and trust that when we elect officials based on the platform they claim to represent, we will allow them to make good on those promises.

Personal scandals aside, I know that most of the problem in getting anything accomplished in Washington and our State governments stems from partisanship, which prevents politicians from accomplishing their goals. We continue to be disappointed in our political leaders because of the posturing and petty disputes between parties. It appears that they are more vested in getting their own way and "one-upping" each other rather than working together for the changes this country desperately needs.

A topic near and dear to my heart is equal rights for GLBT citizens. Why is it that the desire for GLBT families to have equal rights sparks such a visceral reaction from many of our fellow citizens? I can tell you one thing; that dolphin in Cozumel didn't care at all that I was a lesbian. She saw me for all of who I am and the love and acceptance I felt was life-changing. My kids also don't care that I love another woman. They care that I love their Mommy and that our family can enjoy the same protections under our government that their friends' "traditional" families enjoy.

So, because I won't live to see a dolphin elected to political office, I hope that we can see past the superficial, flawed double-standards we accept in our elected officials and demand that real change happens in Washington. It's time to collectively grow up and put our sophomoric game play to the side to get real work done. How could allowing all citizens equal rights possibly become a slippery slope for debauchery and the undoing of family values?

Candidly speaking, I've seen more scandal from our heterosexual leaders than I have from those politicians brave enough to serve as openly GLBT. Perhaps that's merely because there are so many more heterosexual politicians relative to the number of GLBT politicians. So, let's stop the name-calling and posturing about superficial, unfounded concerns and find our inner-dolphins so we can work together to bring our country to new levels of greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment